Try this healthier take on zucchini bread for your next holiday brunch.
It’s rich with a moist crumb just like the less healthy versions of this comfort food, but it’s made with wholesome ingredients.
Applesauce and coconut oil give it great texture and a touch of sweetness. Even though it’s better for you this zucchini bread still considered a treat, so don’t overdo it.
Leftover slices can be wrapped individually and stored in the freezer for future meals.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 large egg whites
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly coat two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans with spray.
- Combine egg whites, oil, applesauce, sugar, and extract in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture; mix until just blended.
- Fold in zucchini and walnuts; mix until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pans for 5 to 10 minutes, remove from pans and transfer to rack; cool completely.
Also, try this yummy Gluten-Free Banana Bread recipe!